Representing the Victims of Dangerous and Defective Products
Product liability law holds anyone along a product’s supply chain – including designers, engineers, manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers – liable for injuries and damages sustained as a result of a dangerous or defective product. Product liability lawsuits can be brought based on design defects, manufacturing defects, or marketing defects (e.g., product lacked adequate warning labels).
At Cogan & Power, P.C., our Chicago product liability attorneys focus on representing the victims of dangerous and defective products, including unsafe pharmaceuticals and medical devices, defective vehicles, defective machinery and equipment, and unsafe food products. We are dedicated accident and injury attorneys who are committed to preserving the rights of our clients, protecting their best interests, and obtaining a favorable verdict or settlement on their behalf. We recently obtained $11.4 million for the family of a man who died after a head-holder device broke during surgery; $3.7 million for the family of a woman who died after taking medication that had not contained suitable warnings; and a record high multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a man injured in a hunting accident as a result of an unsafe deer-hunting stand.
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to anyone who has been injured as a result of dangerous or defective products. Please contact our office at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our dedicated Chicago product liability attorneys.
Theories of Product Liability
Theories of product liability include:
- Negligence occurs when the defendant knew or should have known of the products defect and failed to take the appropriate steps to protect the public.
- Strict liability holds manufacturers liable for injuries and damages caused by dangerous and defective products, regardless of whether they knew or should have known that the product was unsafe.
- Breach of warranty applies when the manufacturer or distributor fails to comply with a written or implied warranty that the product will be safe and free from defects.
Representative Product Liability Cases
At Cogan & Power, we have the skill and experience necessary to handle the complex legal issues that come into play in product liability cases. Our Chicago product liability attorneys advocate on behalf of clients with claims involving:
- Drug and Medical Device Liability
- Defective Products
- Manufacturer’s Liability
- Automotive Defects
- Food Product Liability
- Electrical Equipment Defects
- Toxic Chemicals
- Baby and Children’s Products
What to Do If You Have Been the Victim of a Defective Product
If you have been injured by a dangerous or defective product, it is important to take key steps to preserve a claim for damages in a product liability suit against the manufacturer or other responsible party. You should:
- Retain as much applicable information as possible, including proof of purchase, product packaging, and medical bills.
- Determine the model number of the product, if possible.
- Seek medical attention for any resulting illnesses or injuries.
- Promptly seek the advice of a skilled product liability attorney, like the Chicago product liability lawyers at Cogan & Power.
It is important to act quickly to protect your legal rights, assemble relevant evidence, and comply with applicable statutes of limitations. If you have been the victim of product liability, contact the Chicago accident and injury attorneys at Cogan & Power at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free consultation to discuss a possible product liability claim. If you cannot come to our offices in downtown Chicago, we will come to you. And because we take cases on a contingency basis, you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.