Representing the Victims of Illinois Bike Accidents
Biking is a popular activity in and around Chicago. People bike to work and for exercise and recreational purposes, often sharing the road with motor vehicles. When accidents occur, the consequences can be dire. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 500,000 people in the U.S. are treated in emergency departments, and more than 700 people die, each year as a result of bicycle-related injuries.
If you were injured by a car or other motor vehicle while riding a bike, you may be entitled to compensation. The Chicago bicycle accident attorneys at Cogan & Power, P.C. focus on representing the victims of all types of motor vehicle accidents, including bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents, and we will work to get you the compensation that you deserve.
Contact our office at (312) 477-2500 to schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable Chicago bike accident lawyers. We take cases on a contingency basis, so you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.
Causes of Chicago Bicycle Accidents
Some of the common causes of bike accidents in Chicago include:
- Dooring (when a motorist opens his or her car door and hits a passing bicyclist)
- Failure of drivers to yield the right of way
- Failure of drivers to see cyclists
- Improper right-hand turns in front of a cyclist
- Improperly turning left when a cyclist is approaching in the opposite direction
- Failure of drivers to provide enough distance between vehicle and cyclist when passing the cyclist
How to Make a Claim If You Have Been Injured in a Bike Accident
Bicyclists who are injured in an auto accident may be entitled to compensation from the negligent driver for injuries, medical bills, and lost wages. The knowledgeable Chicago bicycle accident attorneys at Cogan & Power have significant experience representing the victims of motor vehicle accidents, including bicycle accidents, auto accidents, pedestrian accidents, and motorcycle accidents.
We strive to resolve claims quickly and favorably, and we are prepared to vigorously advocate on your behalf in a court of law if a favorable settlement cannot be reached. We have a proven track record of success and numerous substantial verdicts and settlements on behalf of victims of vehicle accidents.
Safety tips for Bicyclists
- Wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet.
- Wear brightly colored clothing during the day.
- Use a front light and rear reflector at night.
- Take care to obey rules of the road.
- Obey traffic signs, signals and lane markings.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed by a motor vehicle while riding a bike, contact the experienced Chicago bicycle accident attorneys at Cogan & Power at (312) 477-2500 today for a free consultation to discuss a possible bicycle accident claim. If you cannot come to our offices in downtown Chicago, we will come to you. And because we take cases on a contingency basis, you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.