Michael P. Cogan
Recognized and Respected Attorney Representing Victims of Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury throughout Illinois
As one of Chicago’s leading trial lawyers, Michael P. Cogan has earned a reputation as a compassionate and aggressive advocate for victims of personal injury, medical malpractice, and wrongful death. Over the course of his career, he has secured for his clients multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements totaling in excess of $110 million. Mr. Cogan co-founded his former law firm, Cogan & McNabola, P.C., in 1992. In 2012 he joined with his former colleague, distinguished trial attorney John Power, to form Cogan & Power, P.C. A founding partner of Cogan & Power, P.C., in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Cogan takes a hands-on approach to every case, working personally with his clients throughout the litigation process.
Nationally recognized by his peers and the legal profession, Mr. Cogan has received the highest possible peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, has been named one of the top 100 attorneys in Illinois by the Leading Lawyer Network, and has been inducted into the prestigious American Trial Lawyers Association as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the nation. He is an invited member of the Million-Dollar Advocates Forum and the exclusive Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, and serves on the Advisory Board of the Network of Leading American Attorneys.
Most recently, Mr. Cogan has been appointed “Adjunct Professor of Law” at the John Marshall Law School. He will be teaching Trial Advocacy in the spring of 2015.
The Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) is the largest group of attorneys in Illinois representing victims of personal injury, medical negligence and product liability. Both Michael Cogan and John Power are on the Board of Governors of this prestigious organization. One of the major platform items of ITLA is to battle the insurance, health care and big business lobbies in Illinois intent on depriving the citizens of Illinois of the right to a trial by a jury of their peers in injury cases. On July 18, 2014, ITLA’s President, John Cooney, appointed Michael as co-chairperson of ITLA’s medical negligence committee. As co-chairperson, Michael will work with our state legislators in Springfield to fashion legislation preserving victim’s rights and in defeating legislation that would infringe on our constitutionally protected right to fair and reasonable compensation for victims of negligent conduct.
For the past several years, Mr. Cogan has served as one of only two non-physicians on the Board of Directors of ‘Cornerstones’, a not for profit organization made up of the top gastroenterologists in the country who host nation-wide webinars and round table discussions in communities that are underserved by gastroenterologists who practice in a university/research environment .
His advocacy skills have helped victims of medical negligence throughout Illinois, as well as in Florida, New Jersey, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Colorado, Missouri, Wisconsin, and the Queens Court in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. A featured speaker at legal and medical seminars throughout the country, Mr. Cogan also contributes articles frequently to legal publications. His column, “Cogan’s Corner,” appears monthly in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, and he was recently featured in the article, Michael Cogan; Calm in the Midst of Chaos, in Leading Lawyers Magazine. He also appears in the fall edition of the Syd Jerome magazine. Syd Jerome is a high quality men’s clothing store in Chicago, Illinois.
Below are some previous Cogan’s Corner columns.
“Cogan’s Corner” appears monthly in the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.
10/9/14 Keeping hospitals accountable to Medical Studies Act requirements
9/29/14 A Quick Study of the Medical Studies Act
8/11/14 A Lawyer’s Guide to Aspirational Rules
6/11/14 A Guide to Pleading and Proving Medical Malpractice
4/8/14 Spoliation of Evidence and the Technological Age
3/18/14 High Court Slays the Dragon of Actual and Apparent Agency Claims
To read more Cogan’s Corner articles click here.
To schedule a free consultation with Michael Cogan or another one of the skilled Chicago accident and injury lawyers at Cogan & Power, P.C., contact our office at (312) 477-2500.
Active Member of Legal Community
Mr. Cogan attended the University of Illinois where he obtained his college degree in 1978 and went on to attend the John Marshall Law School in Chicago where he received his J.D. in 1981. After law school, Mr. Cogan worked for the Office of the General Counsel at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center. Since entering private practice in 1983, Mr. Cogan has concentrated his practice on the representation of victims of medical negligence and personal injury.
Mr. Cogan is active in numerous Bar Associations, including the Society of Trial Lawyers, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, and Illinois State Bar Association. He has been the featured speaker at several association meetings on subjects relating to medical malpractice and has written articles on the subject.
Extensive Legal Knowledge and Skill
Because of his considerable legal skill and knowledge in matters related to trial practice, medical malpractice and personal injury, Michael Cogan is frequently invited to speak at professional conferences and events, including:
- Invited Panelist, Law Bulletin Annual Judges Symposium. 2012
- Invited Speaker on Voir Dire, Law Bulletin Jury Management Conference. 2010
- Invited Speaker, Law Bulletin Publishing Company Litigation Series, Arbitration and Mediation.
- Invited Speaker, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association Education Fund, Medical Malpractice Seminar, Special Ethical Considerations in Handling Medical Malpractice Cases. 2005
- Invited Speaker, How Not to Get Sued, University of Illinois at Chicago Third-Year Resident Retreat.
- Invited Speaker, Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society. 2004
- Invited Speaker, American Gastroenterological Association’s Yearly Meeting. 2000
- Invited Speaker, International Screening Guidelines for Colon Cancer, Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America, Innesbrook, Florida. 2000
- Legal Issues, St. Francis Hospital Grand Rounds. 1994, 1997, 2000
- Legal Issues, University of Chicago Hospitals Grand Rounds. 1998, 1999
- Invited Speaker, Issues in Medical Malpractice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. 2001
- Invited Speaker, Various Topics Relating to Medical Malpractice, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. 1984
Mr. Cogan is a proud member of the Million-Dollar Advocates Forum and is a well-respected member of the legal community, having received the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and having been inducted into the Network of Leading American Attorneys, recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer, and identified as one of the top 100 attorneys in Illinois by the Leading Lawyer Network. He was honored to be inducted into the prestigious Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, an invitation-only organization of trial lawyers from both sides of the bar, as well as the American Trial Lawyers Association as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the nation. Michael was recently featured in the Leading Lawyers Magazine, in the article, “Michael Cogan; Calm in the Midst of Chaos.”
Professional Associations, Memberships, and Pro Bono Activities
In addition to being a skilled Chicago trial attorney, Michael Cogan is also a dedicated member of the Chicago area community. He serves or has served with the following associations:
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, 2013-Present
- ITLA Board of Governor’s, Medical Negligence Committee
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Supporting Member, 2005-Present
- American Association for Justice
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Cornerstones Health, Inc., Board of Directors, 2011- Present
- The Knapp Burn Foundation, Member and Legal Counsel, 1992-1995
- The University of Chicago’s Gastrointestinal Research Foundation, PresidentEmeritus
- Village of Glencoe Baseball Association, Commissioner
- Family Services of Glencoe, Benefactor
- United Way, Board of Directors
- Little League Baseball Coach, 1995-2000
- Glencoe Park District Basketball Coach 1995-2000
- National Moot Court Trial Competition, Judge, 1998
- National Criminal Trial Advocacy Competition, Judge, 1998
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 1986-Present
To schedule a free consultation with Michael Cogan or another one of the skilled Chicago accident and injury lawyers at coganpower.com., contact our office at (312) 477-2500, or e-mail Michael at email@example.com. If you cannot come to our offices in downtown Chicago, we will come to you. And because we take cases on a contingency basis, you will not pay any fee unless we get you compensation.
Meet our other attorneys: